Thomas K John, M.D.Board Certified & Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeon Adult Reconstruction & Joint Replacement Specialist
Dr. Thomas K. John is board certified in orthopedics and a fellowship trained surgeon who specializes in adult reconstruction and joint replacement. He is no stranger to New Jersey having received a Doctor of Medicine degree from New Jersey Medical School as part of a highly selective combined medical program.
Dr. John remains active in multiple professional societies including the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS), and state medical societies.
07/2007-06/2012 Albert Einstein Medical Center, 5501 Old York Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19141
Resident – Orthopaedic Surgery
08/2012-07/2013 Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021
Fellow - Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement
2018 – present Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Hackensack Meridian/Seton Hall University School of Medicine
08/2013 - present Active Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, Hackensack, NJ
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement
2018 – present Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC), Hackensack NJ
2018 – present HUMC at Pascack Valley, Westwood, NJ
2018 – present HUMC at Mountainside Hospital, Montclair, NJ
Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon, Full Clinical Privileges
07/09 - present Fellow, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
07/07- present Fellow, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
07/07 – 06/12 Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
08/13 – present New Jersey Orthopaedic Society
08/13 – present Medical Society of New Jersey
07/08 - present Orthopaedic Trauma Association (Candidate Member)
American Medical Association
Christian Medical and Dental Association
2012-present Ranawat Fellowship Club
- John TK, Ghosh G, Ranawat CS, Ranawat AS, Meftah M. “Performance of Non-Cemented, Hemispherical, Rim-Fit, Hydroxyapatite Coated Acetabular Component.” Journal of Arthroplasty, December 2015
- Ast MP, John TK, Labbisiere A, Robador N, Valle AG. “Fractures of a Single Design of Highly Cross-Linked Polyethylene Liners: An Analysis of Voluntary Reports to the United States Food and Drug Administration. Journal of Arthroplasty, December 2013.
- Kamath A, Levack A, John T, Thomas B, Lonner JH. “Minimum Two-Year Outcomes of Modular Bicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty.” Journal of Arthroplasty, May 2013
- John TK, Westrich GH “Venous Thromboembolism” The HIP: Preservation, Replacement, and Revision. Data Trace Inc. Pending
- Handal J, John TK, Goldstein D, Braitman L, Khurana J, Saing M, Samuel S. “ Effect of Atorvastatin on the Cortical Bones of Corticosteroid Treated Rabbits.” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, June 2012; 30 (6):872-6
- Argenson JN, Parratte S, Bertani A, Aubaniac JM, Lombardi AV Jr, Berend KR, Adams JB, Lonner JH, Mahoney OM, Kinsey TL, John TK, Conditt MA. “The New Arthritic Patient and Arthroplasty Treatment Options.” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am) 2009 Aug; 91 Suppl 5:43-8
- Lonner JH, John TK, Conditt MA. “Robotic Arm-Assisted UKA Improves Tibial Component Alignment : A Pilot Study.”Clinical Orthopaedic Related Research (CORR), Jan 2010; 468(1):141-6
- Lonner JH, John T. “Extensor Mechanism Allografting.” Seminars in Arthroplasty. September 2011: 22(191-96).
- Tuy BE, John TK, Uglialoro AD, Beebe KS, Vives MJ, Patterson FR. “Tumoral Calcinosis Presenting as Neck Pain and Mass Lesion of the Cervical Spine.” American Journal of Orthopaedics Nov 2008: 37(2)
- John TK, Bender B, Parvizi J. “Controversies in Total Hip Arthroplasty” Essentials in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Slack Inc. 2013. ISBN 10 1-55642-870-7
- Kamath A, John TK, Sheth NA, Lonner JH, Lotke PA. “Tibial Avascular Necrosis after Conversion from High Tibial Osteotomy to Total Knee Arthroplasty".” –American Journal of Orthopaedics 2011; 40(7):E130-134.
- Lonner JH, John TK, Conditt MA. “Early Clinical Outcomes of Modular Bicompartmental Arthroplasty” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br) 2011:Vol 93-B, Issue SUPP_IV, 411.
- John TK, Samuel SP, Kiani MK. “Medical Imaging.” Bionic Human Course Pack/Temple University. Whitter Publications 2009.
- John TK, Bielory B. "Allergic reactions to common allergens may be due to evolutionary immune response to conserved domains (CDS) present in parasites and allergens (AGS)." Annals of Allergy Asthma & Immunology, 2007; 98(1): A83-A84
- Ast MP, John TK, Labbisiere A, Robador N, Valle AG. “Fractures of a Single Design of Highly Cross-Linked Polyethylene Liners: An Analysis of Voluntary Reports to the United States Food and Drug Administration. – Presented at American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting, November 2013, Dallas, TX & American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, March 2014, New Orleans, LA.
- John TK, Do H, Mayman D, Westrich G. “Assessment of Outcomes and Risk Factors in Patients after THR and TKR” – Presented at Hospital for Special Surgery Annual Fellows Research Poster Presentation, June 2013, NYC, NY.
- John TK, Sweitzer, Stackhouse S, McClure P. “Effect of Shoulder pain on Muscle Activation at Remote Sites.” – Presented at Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society Meeting, Miami, Florida, April 2012.
- John TK, Sweitzer BA, Eisennagel A, Lenker H, McClure P, Stackhouse S. “Pain Causes Inhibition of the Infraspinatus During Isometric External Rotation.” Presented at the Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, Williamsburg, VA, October 2011
- John TK, Handal JA, Samuel SP. “Effect of Electrospun Nanofibers on the Elution Properties of Chemotherapeutic Bone Cement.” Presented at the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 2010
- John TK, Shilling JW. “Effect of Positive Urine Drug Screen on Perioperative Results in Total Joint Arthroplasty.” Poster presented at the Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, Naples, Florida, October, 2010
- Lonner JH, John TK, Conditt MA. “Modular Bicompartmental Arthroplasty” Presented by JHL at the Knee Society Members Meeting, Rochester, Minnesota, September, 2010
- John TK, Saldanha V, Pahys J, Puglisi A, Samuel S, Williams E. “Biomechanical Comparison of Two C1 Screw Fixation Techniques.” Presented at the Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society Meeting, Amelia Island, Florida, May, 2010
- John TK, Sweitzer BA. “Pain Causes Inhibition of the Infraspinatus During Isometric External Rotation.” Presented at the Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society Meeting, State College, Pennsylvania, October 2010
- John TK, Lonner JH, Conditt MA. “Early Clinical Outcomes in Bicompartmental Arthroplasty” Presented at the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty Annual meeting in Big Island, Hawaii, October 2009
- Lonner JH, John TK, Conditt MA. “Robotic Arm-Assisted Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty.” Presented at the International Society for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery Annual Meeting in Boston, MA, June 2009
- John TK, Benevenia J. “Osteoblast Proliferation on Tantalum vs. Other Metals – A Candidate for Endoprosthetics used in tumor-related Limb Salvage.” Summer Student Research Abstracts. UMDNJ-NJMS. 2004. Poster presented at the 2004 American Medical Association Interim Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia.
- John TK, Bielory B, Bielory L. “Allergic Reactions to Common Allergens May Be Due to Evolutionary Immune Response to Conserved Domains (CDs) Present in Parasites and Allergens.” 2006. Poster presented at March 2006 American Association of Allergy & Immunology Annual Meeting in Miami, Florida.
Presented at the November 2006 American College of Asthma, Allergy, & Immunology Meeting in Philadelphia.
- John TK, Handal JA, Booker R, Samuel SP “Effect of Atorvastatin Calcium on Flexural Bone Strength in Corticosteroid Treated Rabbits.”
Presented at OREF Resident Research Symposium held at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - May, 2009
Presented at the American Society of Biomechanics Annual Meeting, University Park, PA August 26-29, 2009
- John TK, Handal JA, Samuel SP. “Electro-spun nanofibers for drug delivery and tissue engineering applications”
Awarded 1st prize in annual resident research competition – Albert Einstein Medical Center
- John TK, Pahys J, Samuel SP, Williams EA. “Comparative biomechanical pullout strength of two techniques of C1 screw placement.”
Poster presented at the annual Research Symposium, Albert Einstein Medical Center 2009
- John TK. “DVT Prophylaxis in Orthopaedic Surgery.” –Orthopaedic Grand Rounds – Albert Einstein Medical Center, August, 2008
- John TK. “Is there a role for Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty?” – Orthopaedic Grand Rounds - Albert Einstein Medical Center, April, 2009
- John TK. “Pain as a predictor of outcome in Orthopaedic Surgery” – Orthopaedic Grand Rounds – Albert Einstein Medical Center, April, 2010
- John TK. “Rise and Fall of Metal on Metal Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty” – Orthopaedic Grand Rounds – Albert Einstein Medical Center, March, 2011
- John TK. “Periprosthetic Joint Infection after Total Knee Arthroplasty” – Orthopaedic Grand Rounds – Albert Einstein Medical Center, August, 2011
- John TK. “Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty: An Evolution in Technique” – Annual Alumni Day – Union League, Philadelphia, PA, June 2013